Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Back from Maternity leave & my lingo is a bit off....

I've been out of the groove the past several days... maybe weeks. I'll have to check my productivity level by percentage of clean laundry that has made it back into drawers and last blog written and let you know for sure. But the point is that I am aiming for consistency again.

The most current focus in my life has been our new dog, Samson. As if I have all the time in the world, no children, and maids to handle my home for me... I got my husband to agree with me that it was time for us to get a dog. We had been considering one since probably our last kid and had been seriously looking into it for the past year. The timing seems about right considering our family's track record for expanding. Jeremiah is 2 years old now... so that would perfectly match the age difference between he and his new pet sibling to that of Mo & Fro (the girls).

So, most of the people who know me also know that I am a bit of a cook when it comes to entering into new situations in my life. Example? Aside from common sense... I prepared a binder with instructions, information, and cute inspiration clippings to direct my support group during the hospital stay and birth of my first born in the event that I was too busy laboring to share the specifics. (I know, admittedly embarrassing for me, funny for you). So for my new passion, Samson, there was no exception to my madness.  I researched and studied how to become a good Boxer Mommy and Alpha Pack Leader in two days. I know it is not plausible... but I gained enough info to make myself feel confident enough to take Him on. It's all about mind set people ;)

Overall, I am in love. After narrowing it down to dog breed, age, and method of adding a pup to our brood, we have adopted or "rescued" a 1 1/2 year old male Boxer. Initially I thought that I wanted a perfect, new, soft boxer pup with a red bow! Yet, in the end we decided that giving a home to a well deserving dog was right for us. Online searching and dog visits were our routine for a few weeks. Long story short, we finally met Samson. He has over exceeded my high, maybe even unrealistic at the time, expectations. Nevertheless, we were blessed with abundantly more that we asked for. He is even tempered, healthy, loving, gentle, obedient, laid back, loyal, and housebroken! Dream puppy for our family. Things are settling now and I feel urged to come back from my two-week new dog owner maternity leave.

Wanna know the ironic humor of it all? You know how when you have a new baby and you accidentally find yourself cooing or talking in high pitched tones to grown adults cuz you've been doing it all day with your newborn? Just as with motherhood to human children, I find myself carrying my lingo into other areas of my life which are inappropriate. When pleased with my husband my response has been, "Good boy!" and when Jeremiah threw his body across my desk while I was trying to write this post I scold him with, "Jeremiah....Off!" and a loud clap as to startle him.

Eh, no worries.... it'll wear off soon. I hope :/

No comments: